Wednesday, June 11, 2008

My Pedometer

A few months ago I bought a new cell phone with a built in pedometer. I want to take just a moment to tell you all how this has changed my life, really! I started out with the goal of taking 10,000 steps a day, which for some may be a piece of cake, but I found myself struggling to get those in everyday. Once I was able to do that everyday for a week I slowly began to increase my weekly goals. My daily goal now is 18,000 steps a day and there are several days I take 20,000 to 23,000 steps which is the equivalent of 9 to 10 miles. I realize all these steps are not high cardio although about 1/3 at this point involve running/walking. I figure if I am moving I am not eating. Maybe that should be my motto! It is amazing how this competition with myself has simply made me look at things differently. I NEVER take the elevator. Instead of sitting and waiting for the girls at the mall, etc. I walk. I take a walk everyday on my break. I entice my class into races. Until last week when we had to change playgrounds I usually had a crowd of 5 years old's trailing behind me during recess. . Soooo, long story short I am really happy with my new phone! lol

Although I am very impressed with myself, lol, when we go hiking little Mal puts me and the big girls to shame. She hangs right in there on our 5 mile hikes. I am sure her little legs take her much farther simply because she runs ahead then doubles back a lot. Although last week we did get "trapped" in a creek. The sides were really steep for about a mile. I wasn't sure I could get myself and Mallorie up the embankment and she absolutely refused to walk in the water. There were 1000's of water bugs covering the surface. I am sure her shrieking was heard for miles therefore I carried her. For a little thing she sure can get heavy! One thing to be said for the long walks/hikes everyday, she sleeps VERY well.

4 comments:

Rhonda said...

Off to buy a pedometer now...

Janet said...

Wow, it sounds great. You are going to be in shape for that hike up Pikes Peak!

Anonymous said...

So how do those pedometers work? Do they work by GPS, and that is how it tracks your steps?

Anonymous said...

did you say pikes peak! an extra motivation is that when you get to the top, there is hot chocolate!

In Alaska, one of the hikes I went on with Rhonda and Brian was Wolverine peak, which is like 16-18 miles or something there and back, and I think a 3500 foot ascent. The last mile is the steepest part, and is especially hard, especially after already walking so far. During that last mile or so, the fog moved in, and we couldn´t see much. I remember the fog seemed so thick, I think we all lost hope that it would clear. But we kept going, even though it made it quite depressing. But when we got near the top, the fog cleared! And it was so beautiful, I can´t even describe it.