Saturday, July 14, 2007

Popcorn

Mallorie and I began our usual Saturday morning routine. We are always the only ones up until at least 9:00. (Unless I insist otherwise.) I was in the laundry room starting a load while Mallorie was in the family room watching Jo Jo's Circus. (This was always a sure bet to buy myself 5 minutes to do something. You know the luxuries like going to the bathroom, scrubbing the toilet or getting my clothes on, alone. Not anymore!) I must have taken longer then I thought. Here comes Mallorie walking in with a fresh and perfectly popped bag of popcorn.

"I tan't eat it yet. Too hot! Open it, pleeeeez."

"Mallorie, where did you get that? Who popped that for you?"

"I tan do it. I pushed the buttons."

So as you can imagine the horrible images that begin to flash through my mind. On the moderate end of these thoughts is the mental picture of her sitting in front of the microwave with her forehead plastered to the door watching the popcorn go round and round. Can you say brain damage, radiation poisoning. "Aaaaaah! Calm down, don't hypervenilate." I say to myself. At least her tiny fingers show no signs of burns and she did bring the bag to me unopened. At the moment she is blissfully eating her popcorn. Once again this is the child that is NOT potty trained. BTW, this morning, as usual I asked her if she wanted to sit on her potty and read books. Her response.... "No tanks, I don't have time right now." No time? Is her schedule that pressing? I think NOT. I quess I am learning you can lead a kid to the potty but you can't make 'em pee. The other lesson learned today? Mallorie will be my laundry assistant from now on!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh dear. I'm sure that made your heart skip a beat. Who would have thought of that entering her mind.

Mallorie independent? Yes indeed. Yet, still not in any hurry to potty by herself. What a character!

She is such a blessing. Although that blessing did cause her mother to have another grey hair today.

love you guys!

Rhonda said...

Wow! That would have given me a heart attack too. Also, Miss B does the same thing with the "I'm busy, I don't have time" thing. Not sure what that's about, but when I walk off, she will follow me and say "JUST KIDDING!"